Skip takeout. Stay at home and make this easy beef with broccoli crockpot recipe. Pull out the slow cooker and make an easy dinner the whole family can enjoy.
Disclosure: This post contains links to items you can purchase that we make a commission on.
Is this Slow Cooker Beef with Broccoli Hard to Make?
You will find that this beef with broccoli is easy as most of your prep is happening before you put it in the slow cooker.
Since you are using beef stew meat pieces you won’t have to cut up your meat ahead of time. (Unless you would rather buy a thick cut of meat if that is on sale at the time of your shopping trip.)
Once you have put your stew meat into the crockpot, in a medium bowl you will whisk beef stock, garlic, soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil to combine.
Then, season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Pour this mixture on top of beef. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
About 30 minutes before your meat is done in the slow cooker, you will want to start creating your sauce to thicken the liquid. Create a slurry by combining 2 tablespoons of arrowroot with ¼ cup of liquid from the slow cooker. Set aside.
About 15-20 minutes before the meat is done, remove the lid and stir in the arrowroot slurry, then add the frozen broccoli and red bell pepper.
Cover and finish cooking.
What if I Don’t Have Arrowroot onhand?
If you do not happen to have arrowroot on hand don’t worry! These are 3 substitutes you can use.
Per 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder needed use one of these alternatives:
- 1 tablespoon Quick-cooking tapioca.
- OR 1 1/2 teaspoons of Cornstarch.
- OR 1 teaspoon Mashed potato flakes.
What Size Crockpot Should I Use?
If you want to double a recipe to freeze a 10-quart crockpot may be more what you are looking for.
Try out some of these other slow cooker beef recipes!
Did you know that you can cook a lot of stuff with your slow cooker that uses beef as the main ingredient? I have a lot of great recipes for you to try!
- 1½ lbs. beef stew meat, cut into chunks 1½ c. beef stock
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ c. gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 T. honey
- 2 T. toasted sesame oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 T. arrowroot
- 1 14-oz. bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 3 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1 T. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Add beef stew chunks to 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- In a medium glass or another non-reactive bowl, whisk beef stock, garlic, soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil to combine. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Pour mixture on top of beef. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
- To create a thicker sauce, create a slurry by combing 2 tablespoons of arrowroot with ¼ cup of liquid from the slow cooker. Set aside.
- 15-20 minutes before done cooking, remove the lid and stir in the arrowroot slurry, then the frozen broccoli and red bell pepper. Cover and finish cooking.
- Serve immediately with cooked brown rice and a drizzle of sauce from the slow cooker. Garnish with some toasted sesame seeds before serving, if desired.
Tip: Adding the vegetables 15-20 minutes before done cooking will yield crisp-tender results. Cook longer for softer veggies.
The frozen broccoli doesn’t need to be defrosted prior to cooking, so feel free to add them directly from the bag into your slow cooker. Actual cooking times will be varying by individual unit, so be sure to watch closely the first time you prepare this recipe to achieve desired results.
Cook time: 3-7 hours
3 hours on high.
7 hours on low.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 439Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 112mgSodium 1490mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 44g
These recipes are calculated as a courtesy. They are not intended as medical advice or guaranteed accurate. Please do your own calculations if necessary.