Having a hearty and delicious meal is always wonderful to have cooked and ready to eat when you are. This hearty chicken stew in a crockpot is what’s for dinner!
With tasty carrots, potatoes, onions, and flavorful chicken, this meal will be a hit. If you make enough you will also enjoy some wonderful leftovers the next day.
Disclosure: This post contains links to items you can purchase that we make a commission on.
Do You Have to Use White Breast Meat in this Chicken Stew?
You do not have to use white meat but I believe it is better in this stew than dark meat. Also, white meat seems to take on the flavors quicker. But if you choose to use dark meat you may want to make sure you either do your chicken the day before so that you can debone it then add it to the crockpot the day you make your stew.
What is in This Chicken Stew Recipe?
This flavorful recipe calls for extra virgin olive oil, 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts which you will need to be cubed.
Make sure you have some sea salt and pepper on hand so you can season it to your taste. Three large celery stalk, chopped, a medium white onion, chopped as well as three large carrots cut into chunks.
One and a half pounds of tri-color potatoes halved or quartered. Two whole bay leaves, dried thyme, and rosemary. Fresh parsley finely chopped and chicken stock (organic preferably).
Optional: Italian or French bread with butter would taste wonderful with this recipe.
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut in chunks
- 1½ lbs. tri-color potatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- 4 c. chicken stock, preferably organic
- 3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned on all sides, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker and add the chopped celery, onion, carrots, and potatoes. Top with the bay leaves, dried herbs, and chicken stock. Season with additional salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Remove lid and stir to combine. Remove and discard bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, and serve immediately topped with some fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
What Size Crockpot Should I Use?
For this recipe, I would use a 5-quart crockpot. You may also want to use a crockpot liner which allows for less mess when it is time to clean up. If you want to double your recipe a 10-quart crockpot may be more what you are looking for.