Having an easy dinner on hand is great for those busy weeknights. This hearty chicken stew in a crockpot is what’s for dinner!
With tasty carrots, potatoes, onions, and flavorful chicken, this meal will be a hit. If you make enough you will also enjoy some wonderful leftovers the next day.
You can even make this recipe and freeze it for later use. It’s a simple recipe but it is so delicious that you’ll love having it on hand to thaw out when needed for a super quick meal.
Disclosure: This post contains links to items you can purchase that we make a commission on.
Do you have to use chicken breast for this recipe?
You do not have to use white meat but I believe it is better in this stew than dark meat.
Also, white meat seems to take on the flavors quicker. But if you choose to use dark meat I’m sure it will cook the same and not need any changes for the time/process.
What is in This Chicken Stew Recipe?
This flavorful recipe calls for extra virgin olive oil, 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts which you will need to be cubed.
Make sure you have some sea salt and pepper on hand so you can season it to your taste. Three large celery stalk, chopped, a medium white onion, chopped as well as three large carrots cut into chunks.
One and a half pounds of tri-color potatoes halved or quartered. Two whole bay leaves, dried thyme, and rosemary. Fresh parsley finely chopped and chicken stock (organic preferably).
Optional: Italian or French bread with butter would taste wonderful with this recipe.
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut in chunks
- 1½ lbs. tri-color potatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- 4 c. chicken stock, preferably organic
- 3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned on all sides, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker and add the chopped celery, onion, carrots, and potatoes. Top with the bay leaves, dried herbs, and chicken stock. Season with additional salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Remove lid and stir to combine. Remove and discard bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, and serve immediately topped with some fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 453Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 133mgSodium 433mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 54g
These recipes are calculated as a courtesy. They are not intended as medical advice or guaranteed accurate. Please do your own calculations if necessary.
What Size Crockpot Should I Use?
Make some of these other delicious soup recipes:
Did you know that you can make a variety of soups in the Crockpot?! I have plenty of recipes for you to try!
Another great choice is this sausage and potato soup, it’s simple but so flavorful!