One of my favorite meals is crockpot chicken and dumplings. It is definitely a comfort food and also one of my family’s favorite dishes also. What I love about this recipe is just how easy it is for a delicious dinner.
Disclosure: This post contains links to items you can purchase that we make a commission on.
Why is this Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings Easy to Make?
First of all, it is easy because you do not need to make dumplings. You can use the refrigerated biscuits in the can from your local grocery store. An important thing to mention is that you will need an hour before you want to eat to put the biscuits on top of the soup mix.
Not to mention chicken in a crockpot makes it so easy to get the most tender chicken ever. I also find that cooking chicken in a slow cooker gets the flavors fully into the chicken meat. So Good!
What is the Difference Between Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings and Biscuits?
With dumplings, they normally are cooked on top or within the liquid before serving. You aren’t going to put butter on them or honey-like some do with biscuits.
Biscuits are almost always homemade (or store-bought) in a separate pan or pie plate. In our home when we have Chicken and Biscuit we open the biscuit up and put butter or margarine on them, then ladle the chicken with gravy over top as well as our potatoes if we have them.
What Sides Go Well with Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings?
I think the best sides that would go well with this recipe are mashed potatoes, corn and or peas. It also is fine to serve without any sides if the main course is filling enough for you.
Another favorite we have as a side if we want something ‘cooler’ or lighter than mashed potatoes are jello salads. They can also double as a light dessert.
What Size Crockpot Should I Use?
For this recipe, I would use a 5-quart crockpot. You may also want to use a crockpot liner which allows for less mess when it is time to clean up. If you want to double your recipe a 10-quart crockpot may be more what you are looking for.
- •2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- •2 tbsp butter
- •21 oz cream of chicken soup
- •14.5 oz chicken broth
- •1 tbsp onion powder
- •1 tbsp parsley
- •8 refrigerated biscuits (homestyle)
- •1 tsp pepper
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker
- Cover each chicken breast with 1 tbsp of butter
- Pour in the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, onion powder, and parsley
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 7 hours
- Once the chicken is cooked through, shred it and place it back in the slow cooker
- Mix the chicken into the soup
- Cut the biscuits into quarters and place them on top of the soup mix
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, until the biscuits, are cooked through
- Either stir the biscuits into the mix before serving or serve with them on top
- Sprinkle with pepper and garnish with parsley if desired Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time is 4 hours is on high.
Cook time is 7 hours on low.