There is nothing quite like having a dinner of slow cooker beef tips waiting for you at the end of a full day of work. Our family used to only have this type of meal on Sundays when we had more time to prepare it. Now with the slow cooker, we can have “Sunday” meals all throughout the week.
When you hear slow cooker beef tips you probably think it is a difficult meal to prepare. But in the slow cooker, you will find it is easier than expected.
Disclosure: This post contains links to items you can purchase that we make a commission on.
What Goes Well with Slow Cooker Beef Tips?
Beef tips are delicious on top of rice or egg noodles. You can also serve it with steamed broccoli or asparagus. There are so many things you can serve with these beef tips, the possibilities are endless. If you aren’t watching your carbs a nice crusty loaf of bread would be perfect too. Our family enjoys having mashed red potatoes with french bread. The mushroom ‘gravy’ is so good on a cold winter’s night on top of the potatoes.
What Ingredients You Will Need for these Tasty Beef Tips?
You will need 2 to 3 pounds beef tips or stew meat, all-purpose flour, butter, an onion, a package of sliced baby Bella mushrooms, garlic powder, dry mustard, paprika, ground thyme, salt, black pepper, and a bay leaf. You will also need Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and optional pepperoncini peppers if you would like extra spice.
Have You Enjoyed Beef Tips in the Crock-Pot?
If you have enjoyed beef tips in the crock-pot share with us in the comments. Tell us what you have enjoyed with your beef tips as a side dish or what you have put them on top of (rice, noodles, etc). We look forward to hearing your ideas.
- 2 to 3 pounds beef tips or stew meat
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounces) package sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup pepperoncini peppers, drained (if desired for extra spice)
- In a large plastic bag, place the beef tips and flour. Close the bag and shake to coat the meat.
- In a heavy skillet, melt butter. In batches, brown the meat on all sides. As the meat is seared, transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add about 1 cup of the beef broth to the skillet and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan. Pour the broth over the meat in the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- If gravy is desired, remove about 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker. Mix together with 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch and return to the slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cook an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thickened.
- Remove pepperoncini peppers (if used) prior to serving. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes/cauliflower, buttered noodles, or alone.
What Size Crockpot Should I Use?
For this recipe, I would use a 5-quart crockpot. You may also want to use a crockpot liner which allows for less mess when it is time to clean up. If you want to double your recipe a 10-quart crockpot may be more what you are looking for.