Making slow cooker beef stew is easy! This indulgent and filling meal is perfect for weeknight dinners or even special occasions!
Disclosure: This post contains links to items you can purchase that we make a commission on.
Beef stew in the Crockpot is one of those classic, indulgent, filling meals that the whole family loves. It is packed full of great flavors and textures and I love using different kinds of meat or whatever is in the freezer to make this tasty stew.
If you are wondering what is the difference between a soup and stew…it’s pretty simple, stew is characterized by a more hearty broth. When it’s finished, this slow cooker beef stew should have a very thick and viscous broth which truly adds to the heartiness of the overall dish.
You might be thinking that this is a dish you only make in the winter time. Truth be told, we make this one year round. It’s great for meal prep because it holds up really well in the refrigerator for about a week.
I can make a batch on Sunday night for family dinner or I can keep it in portioned out containers for quick lunches throughout the week. You can also freeze this recipe and reheat it when you need a quick dinner option!
Here is what you’ll need to make slow cooker beef stew:
As usual, the slow cooker is going to do most of the work for us. I love Crockpots and have several. I use a bigger one, like this, for this recipe.
You can use a bigger or smaller Crockpot if you need to, just scale the recipe to suit your needs. You can easily cut it in half or double it, make a double batch and freeze some or share it with friends and family!
For this particular recipe we’ll be using lean beef stew meat, smoked sausage, olive oil, cooking spray, russet potatoes, yellow onions, parsnips, garlic, dijon mustard, hot sauce, tomato broth, beef broth, frozen mixed vegetables, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder!
This is a pretty simple (and standard) combination for a classic beef stew. The great news is that unlike beef stew you make on the stovetop you won’t have to monitor this one all day long. It can do the hard work of thickening and cooking slowly in the Crockpot!
How to make beef stew in the Crockpot:
Add flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder to a gallon size Ziploc bag. Working in batches, add the stew meat and shake to cover in the flour. Remove and place on a plate. Repeat until all the meat is covered.
Heat olive oil in a skillet and brown the stew meat, but do not cook all the way through. Place on a plate that is covered with paper towels to drain off the oil.
In a medium size bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, beef broth, garlic, mustard, and hot sauce. Set aside.
Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking oil. Add the onions, potatoes, and parsnips.
Add the beef stew meat and the sausage to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Pour the liquid into the slow cooker and secure the lid. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 8-9 hours.
Once the stew is done, remove the lid and stir in the frozen vegetables. Replace the lid and cook on low for 15 minutes.
This recipe will serve 6 or more depending on the serving sizes. We usually like to scoop out a hearty bowl full, around 1-2 cups.
Looking for more delicious dinner recipes made in the slow cooker?
You are in the right place! I love to use the slow cooker to make dinner…and well also lunch, breakfast, and dessert but anyway, here are some of our favorite dinner recipes for you to try.
My family goes crazy for this nacho chicken casserole. It’s easy, delicious, and super cheesy. Another family favorite is the Crockpot lasagna. It’s indulgent, and makes even regular weeknights feel like a special occasion.
Printable Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe:
- 1 ½ pounds lean beef stew meat
- 1-pound beef smoked sausage, cut into 1” slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spray cooking oil
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large diced yellow onion
- 1 cup of diced parsnips
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 16-ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon white pepper
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- Add flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder to a gallon size Ziploc bag. Working in batches, add the stew meat and shake to cover in the flour. Remove and place on a plate. Repeat until all the meat is covered.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and brown the stew meat, but do not cook all the way through. Place on a plate covered with paper towels to drain off the oil.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, beef broth, garlic, mustard, and hot sauce. Set aside.
- Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking oil. Add the onions, potatoes, and parsnips.
- Add the beef stew meat and the sausage.
- Pour the liquid into the slow cooker and secure the lid. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 8-9.
- Once the stew is done, remove the lid and stir in the frozen vegetables. Replace the lid and cook on low for 15 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 932Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 185mgSodium 1346mgCarbohydrates 85gFiber 11gSugar 7gProtein 71g
These recipes are calculated as a courtesy. They are not intended as medical advice or guaranteed accurate. Please do your own calculations if necessary.