My favorite slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is easy to make, flavorful, and perfect for meal prep. This family friendly dinner recipe is amazing!
Disclosure: This post contains links to items you can purchase that we make a commission on.
Here’s what you’ll need to make slow cooker chicken tortilla soup:
Though this recipe does have a pretty long ingredient list, they’re all easy to find, mostly items you’ll have on hand, and when you taste the finished soup you’ll understand why we need each one! The complex flavors that will build in the Crockpot are worth the added ingredients.
This recipe uses onion, bell peppers, corn, black beans, boneless skinless chicken breasts, mild green chilies, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, chicken broth, cilantro leaves, tortilla strips and any toppings you might like.
What can I use to top this delicious soup?
You can add anything you like to your soup. I’ve found that my favorite taco toppings seem to go great on this soup.
Sour cream, avocado, olives, shredded cheese, and salsa all go great on the top of this awesome soup recipe.
How to make Crockpot chicken tortilla soup:
When I say it’s easy you know it’s true. I don’t have the time or the patience for difficult recipes. Check out how easy it is to make this incredible soup in the slow cooker!
Place the onion, bell pepper, corn, and black beans in the slow cooker and stir.
Add in the taco seasoning, chilies, and tomatoes.
Stir in the tomato sauce.
Place chicken breasts on top of the mixture.
Pour the chicken broth on top, making sure the chicken is completely covered. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred with two forks.
Return the chicken to the pot and mix well. Serve immediately and top with your favorite toppings.
Stir in the chopped cilantro and ladle into bowls. Top with tortilla strips and any other toppings you desire. Serve immediately.
Looking for other awesome Crockpot soup recipes?
Using the Crockpot to make soup is a great idea! The flavors come together beautifully and it couldn’t be easier thanks to the slow cooker.
Chicken pot pie is a family favorite, as well as this creamy mushroom soup! My personal favorite is sausage and potato soup, it’s hearty and indulgent. Another awesome option is Crockpot vegetable soup. Vegetable soup is a simple classic that everyone can enjoy. It freezes well too!
Try out my favorite classic lemon pepper chicken that is remade for the Crockpot!
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, any color, diced
- 1 cup frozen or I can of corn
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 4-ounce can mild green chilies
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 package of taco seasonings
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup tortilla strips,
- or more if desired
- Toppings such as sour cream, avocado, olives and shredded cheese
- Place the onion, bell pepper, corn, and black beans in the slow cooker and stir.
- Add in the taco seasoning, chilies, and tomatoes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the mixture.
- Pour the chicken broth on top, making sure the chicken is completely covered. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred with two forks.
- Return the chicken to the pot and mix well. Serve immediately and top with your favorite toppings.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and ladle into bowls. Top with tortilla strips and any other toppings you desire. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 328Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 72mgSodium 1273mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 8gSugar 6gProtein 31g
These recipes are calculated as a courtesy. They are not intended as medical advice or guaranteed accurate. Please do your own calculations if necessary.